Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Let's try this again

I haven't blogged in so long, and I've been saying for months that I would start again, so here goes. Living in the South should provide a host of entertaining stories to entertain ya'll (see, I'm learning so fast, haha). I'll start with a list of funny words that I've noticed since we moved here.

young'uns: people actually say this, even people my age!!! Still can't believe it..
reckon: again, actually used!!! By "normal" people, not just crazy old guys with the corncob pipes
buggy: instead of grocery cart: makes me giggle every time
fixin:"I'm gonna" still makes me laugh
plug up: instead of plug-in (like for a cord)
mash: the buttons: instead of "press"
bbq: means cook meat, shred it, and mix with sauce. They use "grilled" for what we think of as bbq'd

Here's a list of food products with changed names:

Hardee's: instead of Carl's Jr.
Helman's: instead of Best Foods (mayo)
Chesters: instead of Cheetos

and NO (seriously they look at you like you're smokin something if you ask about...):

Jack-in-the-box
Fro Yo of any kind
In-n-Out (of course)
Dim Sum (dim WHAT?)
Thai Food (we have found a few places in Atlanta)
Bubble Tea (I soooo miss them!!)
Sourdough bread :(
Jamba :( :( :(

And it's easier to find a fried chicken place than a Starbucks (and they prefer sweet tea to coffee any day).

I will tell you more about food experiences on my next post. I could write this whole blog on food here, it's insane!!!!

On a side note, we did see our first lightning bugs up close yesterday at Katie (my coworker)'s apartment. They are pretty amazing, though somewhat creepy when buzzing around in your face.

No comments: